Monday, February 11, 2008

A Passion for One's Work

Just now, I had a meeting with my boss, a nice young guy who really knows his stuff. The chap loves his job, really is passionate about it because he'll go to the mat for issues, arguing like a banshee with his superior if he believes in his cause. During said conversation, this fella's devotion to the job...to the higher principles associated with the job were palpable. He was getting ready to make his first real hire (everyone else on staff, present company included he inherited when he took the job) and I could sense authentic excitement...he was almost giddy with anticipation and with the weighty responsibility that hiring entails.

After I returned to my desk I considered how wonderful it must be to actually believe in what you're doing...to know that actions you take today are but the stepping stones to your next phase in life...to know right down to your toes that you're in your right place.

Sitting there, considering the work I had in front of me I thought...how can I get a modicum of that??? I can honestly say once in my life was I in that "career flow" and it ironically occurred when I let go of an old career path that no longer held any appeal.

15 years ago, I'd decided to give up planning, a calling I felt was too vague and prosaic--an overall poor fit-- to pursue working with Unix systems. I'd always had a crush on all things technological...and the thought of tinkering for a living was incredibly intoxicating. As fate would have it, I also was blessed with a fantastic coach of a boss. It was the perfect combination of intent and action.

Fast forward over a decade and that love is long since past. I no longer work with Unix and I rarely feel all that useful...in fact I know that if I'd applied for this job today I'd not get it. So not only do I feel ineffective, I also feel stupid. A bad marriage to be sure.

What would I give to feel that sense of purpose like my boss displayed?

What indeed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home